With the current California drought, Northrop Grumman’s Earth Day was all about water. Four vendors including ourselves gave quick rotating presentations about different water topics to the employees as they picked up and ate their lunches. Staying true to the reduction of wastefulness we chose to talk about the small scale benefits to individuals as well as the the large scale benefits to industry for using re-usable water canteens. Some of the staggering facts we spoke about included:
- It takes 36 ounces of water to create one 12 ounce bottle of water
- Bottling water produces 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide yearly
- 1 Billion dollars worth of plastic is dumped in US landfills every year
- 17 Million barrels of oil are consumed in yearly production of water bottles
- You could fill your re-usable bottle 1,500 times for the same price as one purchased Plastic water bottle
Let’s take the perceived connivence out of water bottles and shift to reusables. It’s good for our wallets, health, and environment!